Woohoo! If you've been keeping up and participating with the Get Up and Move Challenge, give yourself a huge pat on the back for making it 2/3rds of the way through! Only 10 more days (including today!) to go!
With only 10 more days left in the challenge, you know what that means... time to increase our workout time from 20 minutes to 30 minutes! We are now officially at the ACSM recommended amount of physical activity. As a reminder, you don't have to perform your exercise in one big 30 minute chunk. You can break it down into two 15 minute segments, one 20 minute bout and one 10 minute bout, three bouts of 10 minutes, or any other combination with each bout lasting at least 10 minutes.
What are some ideas for 30 minute activities?
You can use any combination of the 10 minute exercise or 20 minute exercise ideas, or just perform them for longer.
- Go for a hike at a nearby state park
- Find a workout video series that you enjoy (Amazon's most popular exercise DVD list)
- Commit to a workout program such as:
- Couch to 5k Program
- Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred
- P90x (if you're looking for something more intense)
- Sign up for an exercise class (doesn't have to be through a gym, many community centers or high schools offer workout classes for adults); there are all kinds of non-traditional fun classes out there:
- Tai Chi
It can also be helpful to switch up the intensity you are working out at day-to-day. If one day you attend a kickboxing class, you might want to just go for a walk the next day, and then do some yoga at home the day after that. Switch things up and don't be afraid to try something new!
What are the different activities you like to do throughout the week to "switch things up"?